Monday 20 August 2012

Ordinary Day


1 July 2012 – Sunday

1.     With the house packed, I skipped the morning walk.  Even in our room I could hardly move because Jejen spread his blanket on the floor.
2.     As soon as the guests left at noon, I released the rooster, which rattled with indignation, emerged from the cage, hit the railing, flipped around and then flew above the orange tree in silence, on and on beneath the bomboo groves, across the creek, and disappeared: a beautiful flight of freedom.  
3.     Down to the studio instead and work on the frames of the 2 paintings to be sent to Penang, to participate in a show at Chee Ling’s gallery. An excellent opportunity for me to get dirty with paints again.  Found just enough wooden strips to measure, cut, nail, and paint (black) to the stretchers of 3 works: “The Paper Boats of Temptation”, “The Blue Papaya” and “Meat Seller”. Framed, they look professional.  Temptation and Papaya packed into Jejen’s car.  He left at 4.
4.     Using acrylic (thalo green plus ivory black) for the frames, I mixed a little too much, which prompted me to a series of studies of the “Meat Seller” on paper.
5.     I finally garner enough courage to admit that now there is closure to the death of Tosay.  I sketched him, again and again.  Then I pulled a small canvas out and started an oil portrait of him.  When Tosay appeared in the “The Paper Boats of Temptation” he was alive. 
Because of the smell (turpentine), I glazed the “Couple” outside on the table in the workshop. The stillness of the night conferred a dignity to this labor.

No comments:

Post a Comment